Bayard Church of Christ traces our history to the Restoration Movement of the 18th and 19th Century. This movement was based on a desire to attain unity of all Christians and to return to following the Holy Scriptures as the only authority on how the Christian should live. President James Garfield was a major proponent of this movement, and he gave us a statement of faith that truly captures the essence of the restorative movement that was happening. This eleven point statement is based in Scripture, but it is not something we hold as equal to the authority of Scripture.
“What We Stand For.” –James Garfield
1. We call ourselves Christians or Disciples of Christ.
2. We believe in God the Father.
3. We believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and our Saviour. We regard the divinity of Christ as the fundamental truth of the Christian system.
4. We believe in the Holy Spirit, both as to his agency in conversion and as indwelling in the heart of the Christian.
5. We accept both the Old and the New Testament Scriptures as the inspired Word of God.
6. We believe in the future punishment of the wicked and the future reward of the righteous.
7. We believe that the Deity is a prayer-hearing and a prayer-answering God.
8. We observe the institution of the Lord’s Supper on the Lord’s Day. To this table we neither invite nor debar; we say it is the Lord’s Supper for all of the Lord’s children.
9. We plead for the union of God’s people on the Bible and the Bible alone.
10. The Christ is our only creed.
11. We maintain that all the ordinances should be observed as they were in the days of the Apostles.